Santa Clara Men's Tennis Team Falls To Pepperdine 7-0
Feb. 3, 2007
Malibu, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team lost its third consecutive match to a top 25 opponent on Saturday as No. 9 Pepperdine defeated the Broncos 7-0. The Broncos pushed three of the matches to three sets, but no one could break through the powerful Pepperdine lineup. In doubles the Broncos were also swept for the first time this season.
Jay Wong, Robert Gallman and Bobby Rasmussen all pushed their singles matches to three sets with both Gallman and Rasmussen losing 6-4 in the third set. Jan Macek continued his strong play at No. 1 with another hard fought match. He fell 6-2, 7-6 (4) in his attempt to defeat another highly ranked player, Andre Bedemann.
"Today was a tough match," said head coach George Husack. "Overall, we were just a few points of having things turn out a bit differently. We continue to improve and need to get even better to beat teams like Pepperdine. They competed great and were the better team today. We've got more work to take care of tomorrow against UC Irvine."
The Broncos face the 74th-ranked UC Irvine Anteaters on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 1:00 p.m. PT in Irvine.
Doubles: (2, 1, 3 order of finish)
1. PEP Omar Altmann/Richard Johnson def. SCU Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields 8-5
2. PEP Andre Begemann/Mahmoud Kamel def. SCU Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen 8-5
3. PEP James Lemke/Bassam Beidas def. SCU Brian Brogan/Robert Gallman 8-1
Singles: (5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4)
1. PEP Andre Begemann def. SCU Jan Macek 6-2, 7-6 (4)
2. PEP Richard Johnson def. SCU Brian Brogan 7-5, 6-2
3. PEP James Lemke def. SCU Jay Wong 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. PEP Bassam Beidas def. Robert Gallman 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. PEP Omar Altmann def. SCU Tommy Hicks 6-2, 6-4
6. PEP Mahmoud Kamel def. SCU Bobby Rasmussen 6-4, 2-6, 6-4