April 8, 2006
Boise, Ida. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team faced a difficult challenge this weekend, taking on three teams in two days. While Santa Clara was scheduled to just play Montana State in doubles following a dual match with No. 22 Boise State, head coach George Husack and his MSU counterpart decided to play a full match due to inclement weather, rather than play the singles portion tomorrow, as regularly planned. A weary and road-tired SCU squad dropped its two matches today, first a 7-0 decision in favor of host Boise State, followed by a 5-2 loss to Montana State.
Santa Clara drops its season record to 10-12 and returns to action tomorrow afternoon against Idaho.
Against Boise State, Santa Clara was able to win a doubles match, with Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen took out Steve Robertson and Clancy Shields 8-4 at the No. 2 spot, though the hosts were able to win out at the other two positions to take the 1-0 lead. Boise State showed why it is so highly ranked in singles after taking all six contests, though Santa Clara was able to push it to three sets twice. At the No. 1 position, Jan Macek was outlasted by No. 29 Luke Shields 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (4) and Bobby Rasmussen came up on the short end of a very tight 0-6, 6-3, 7-6 decision to Piotr Dilaj on Court 5.
In the following dual match, Montana State took two of the three doubles contests to take a 1-0 lead. Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields beat Marek Gebicki and Kyle McDonald 8-4 on Court 1 to prevent the shutout. In singles, Montana State was able to gather victories at the top four spots to secure the dual match victory. Santa Clara's lone points were registered by A.J. Kerin, with his 6-2, 6-4 victory over Jake Berriochoa, and Tommy Hicks, who defeated Jakob Dybala 6-2, 0-6, 1-0 (8) on Court 5.
No. 22 Boise State 7, Santa Clara 0
Doubles (Boise State wins the doubles point)
1. No. 18 Thomas Schoeck/Luke Shields (BSU) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-2
2. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Steve Robertson/Clancy Shields (BSU), 8-4
3. Piotrek Dilaj/Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Brian Brogan/Chris Iwamura (SCU) 8-5
1. No. 29 Luke Shields (BSU) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
2. No. 122 Thomas Schoeck (BSU) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 7-5, 7-5
4. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Tommy Hicks (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 0-6, 6-3, 7-6
6. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU), 6-1, 6-2
Montana State 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (Montana State wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Marek Gebicki/Kyle McDonald (MSU), 8-4
2. Tejeshwara Chigateri/Federico Ueltschi (MSU) def. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 8-5
3. Jake Berriochoa/Justin Hauck (MSU) def. Brian Brogan/Chris Iwamura (SCU), 8-3
1. Federico Uelschi (MSU) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2. Marek Gebicki (MSU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Kyle McDonald (MSU) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 7-6 (5), 6-2
4. Tejeshwara Chigateri (MSU) def. Bobby Rasmussen, 6-3, 6-1
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Jakob Dybala (MSU), 6-2, 0-6, 1-0 (8)
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Jake Berriochoa (MSU), 6-2, 6-4