Broncos Score 5-2 Victory Over Lions
April 1, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team traveled to Southern California to get away from the bad weather hitting the Bay Area, but unfortunately, the rain happened to follow them to Los Angeles, as today's West Coast Conference match with Loyola Marymount was delayed due to the inclement weather. However, once the sky cleared up and the courts dried, the Broncos were able to take care of business and dispose of the Lions rather handily, by a score of 5-2.
Santa Clara improves its overall record to 10-9 and to 5-0 in league play with today's victory and will put its unbeaten WCC mark on the line with a 1 p.m. meeting with No. 2 Pepperdine tomorrow in Malibu, Calif.
"It was a really tough WCC match today. We got out to an early lead in doubles and it carried over to singles," said head coach George Husack. "We've got a difficult task ahead of us with Pepperdine tomorrow, but I think the guys are really looking forward to it."
To start off the match, Loyola Marymount took the first step in taking the doubles point after Michael Chan and Nico Terrien defeated Chris Iwamura and A.J. Kerin 8-4 at the No. 3 spot, though Santa Clara responded with Kevin McQuaid and Blane Shields' 8-6 triupmh over Linas Cicenas and Mike Wojnarowicz on Court 1. The Broncos secured the doubles point after Brian Brogan and Jan Macek were able to outlast Carlos Malet and Matt Phillips 9-7 at the No. 2 position.
In singles action, Santa Clara went up 2-0 after Brogan took care of Wojnarowicz 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot and Tommy Hicks added to the total with his 6-0, 6-1 victory over Phillips at the No. 5 position. Macek clinched the match with his 6-1, 7-6 (3) triumph over Terrien on Court 1. In the rubber matches, Kerin won his match up with Malet at the No. 6 spot, while McQuad and Bobby Rasmussen dropped their contests to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara 5, Loyola Marymount 2
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas/Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU), 8-6
2. Brian Brogan/Jan Macek (SCU) def. Carlos Malet/Matt Phillips (LMU), 9-7
3. Michael Chan/Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Chris Iwamura/A.J. Kerin (SCU), 8-4
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Nico Terrien (LMU), 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Mike Wojnarowicz (LMU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-1, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (4)
4. Linas Cicenas (LMU) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Matt Phillips (LMU), 6-0, 6-1
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Carlos Malet (LMU), 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)