Feb. 11, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah - The Santa Clara men's tennis team dropped another difficult road match this afternoon, this time to No. 54 Utah by a score of 7-0. Kevin McQuaid and Tommy Hicks led the way in defeat, pushing their opponents to three sets before bowing out themselves.
In doubles action, Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen dropped an 8-3 decision to Nick Coutts and Zach Ganger at the No. 1 spot, while over on Court 2, Tomasz Gryzb and Jason Yap defeated McQuaid and Blane Shields 8-3. Wes Hancock and Dan Mascall completed the Utes sweep with an 8-6 triumph over Brian Broan and Aneal Vallurupalli.
Utah continued to play well heading into singles play, where it captured four of the matches in straight sets. McQuaid went the distance with his opponent, losing 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 to Gryzb, while Hicks fell to Ryan Scott after winning the first set, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0.
Santa Clara drops its record to 5-6 in 2006, and returns to action next Wednesday when it faces West Coast Conference rival San Francisco at the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m.
No. 54 Utah 7, Santa Clara 0
Doubles (Utah wins the doubles point)
1. Nick Coutts/Zach Ganger (UT) def. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 8-3
2. Tomasz Grzyb/Jason Yap (UT) def. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU), 8-3
3. Wes Hancock/Dan Mascall (UT) def. Brian Brogan/Aneal Vallurupalli, 8-6
1. Zach Ganger (UT) def. Jan Macek (SCU), 6-3, 7-5
2. Tomasz Grzyb (UT) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 6-7, 6-4, 1-0
3. Nick Coutts (UT) def. Brian Brogan (SCU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Wes Hancock (UT) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Ryan Scott (UT) def. Tommy Hicks (SCU), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0
6. Dan Mascall (UT) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU), 6-3, 6-3