Jan. 29, 2006
Portland, Ore. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team scored their first road victory of the 2006 season this afternoon, taking down host Portland 6-1. After dropping a difficult loss to Oregon the previous night, Santa Clara took out its disappointment on its fellow West Coast Conference rival, though the matches were much closer than what the final score indicated.
"The team responded well after losing a tough match yesterday to Oregon. They dug in deep and the match was a lot tighter than the score indicated," commented Husack. "A lot of our guys were down early, but they were able to turn it around to get the win for our team."
The Broncos took an early 1-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles contests. In singles play, the Pilots tied it up at 1-1 after Darragh Rowan defeated Kevin McQuaid 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 3 position. However, that would be the only Portland point scored today, as Santa Clara was able to win the remaining singles matches. After McQuaid's loss, Brian Brogan took out James Redpath 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 to put his team back up by one and Jan Macek added to the overall total with his 0-6, 6-3, 6-4 triumph over Matthew Loucks on Court 1. Tommy Hicks clinched the dual match with his easy 6-3, 6-2 win over Luis Gonzalez at the No. 5 spot, while Bobby Rasmussen and A.J. Kerin won their contests to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara improves its record to 4-3 on the year and returns to action on Saturday, February 4 with a date with Princeton University at the Degheri Tennis Center. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m.
Santa Clara 6, Portland 1
Doubles (Santa Clara wins the doubles point)
1. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Matthew Loucks/James Redpath (POR), 8-6
2. Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields (SCU) def. Darragh Rowan/Alex Strom (POR), 8-2
3. Brian Brogan/A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Scott Kennel/Joel Kincaid (POR), 8-6
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Matthew Loucks (POR), 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. James Redpath (POR), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Darragh Rowan (POR) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Alex Strom (POR), 6-4, 6-3
5. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Luis Gonzalez (POR), 6-3, 6-2
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Scott Kennel (POR), 6-2, 6-3