April 2, 2005
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team won its fifth straight dual match with a 5-2 victory over tNo. 75 Denver this afternoon in Albuquerque, N.M. The Broncos are now 9-7 on the season and the Pioneers fall to 5-9.
Ben Hidalgo and Jan Macek paired at No. 3 doubles and broke their opponent's serve at 7-6 to clinch the coveted doubles point. In singles, A.J. Kerin and Taylor Bedilion earned victories to put the Broncos ahead 3-1. Macek clinched the team victory at No. 2 singles with his 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 win over Viktor Zetterholm.
"It's nice to get a ranked win, even more so on the road," head coach George Husack said. "Add the fact we're playing at altitude, where the balls move quicker, and our guys played really well; it's nice to start the weekend with a win and we hope to keep the momentum going toward an even tougher match tomorrow."
The Broncos remain in Albuquerque for a match against host tNo. 54 New Mexico (5-5) on Sunday at noon. Santa Clara is scheduled to return to the Degheri Center on Wednesday, April 6, hosting Pacific at 2:30 p.m. Admission to that contest is free.
1. Zetterholm/Persson (DU) def. Kochanski/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-1
2. Zepponi/Bedilion (SCU) def. Flaks/Tan (DU) 8-2
3. Ben Hidalgo /Macek (SCU) def. Rosen/Slemons (DU) 8-6
1. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Niklas Persson (DU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Viktor Zetterholm (DU) 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3
3. Jason Tan (DU)def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Steve Flaks (DU)def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Kalle Rosen (DU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Ryan Slemons (DU) 6-3, 6-1