March 2, 2005
SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision to San Francisco this afternoon at the Olympic Club in San Francisco. The Broncos are now 4-7 on the season, 1-2 against West Coast Conference opponents.
Santa Clara won the coveted doubles point to take a 1-0 team lead and extended that lead 2-0 with Taylor Bedilion's singles victory on court two.
San Francisco countered with wins on courts one, three and four to take a 3-2 match lead. The Broncos followed with A.J. Kerin's win at No. 5 singles to tie the match.
Rafael Corazza clinched the team victory for San Francisco with his three-set victory on court 6.
The Broncos will return home to the Degheri Center to open a three-match homestand against Hawaii on Friday.
1. Kochanski/Macek (SCU) def. William O'Shea/Kienle (USF) 9-7
2. Andrew Bertolina/Riise-Hanssen (USF) def. Bedilion/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-5
3. Chris Iwamura / Blane Shields (SCU) def. Corazza/Rodriguez (USF) 8-3
1. Timo Kienle (USF) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
2. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Andrew Hogan (USF) 6-1, 6-4
3. Philip Riise-Hanssen (USF) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Fernando Rodriguez (USF) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Falko Huettenberger (USF) 7-5, 6-1
6. Rafael Corazza (USF) def. Tyler Wilson (SCU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3