Broncos Storm To WCC Men's Tennis Victory
Feb. 18, 2005
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team swept the top three singles seeds and received a gutsy three-set victory at number five to earn a weather-delayed 4-2 West Coast Conference victory over Bay Area rival San Francisco at the Degheri Tennis Center Friday.
The match, which began Thursday afternoon and was postponed due to inclement weather, evened Santa Clara's overall record at 3-3 on the season and gave the Broncos a 1-1 mark against league opponents. San Francisco fell to 2-7 overall and 0-2 in the WCC.
"San Francisco has a much-improved team and this match was the first time they've had their full squad playing from top to bottom," said SCU Head Coach George Husack. "After having two weeks off without playing a match, it was important that we come out, play hard and get the win. This gives us a great deal of momentum heading into tomorrow's match against Utah."
Saturday's match against the University of Utah is scheduled for noon. Should there be inclement weather, the match will be moved to Club Sport in Pleasanton, Calif. at 7 p.m.
The first win of the day came from SCU's top seed, Taylor Bedilion, a 6-3, 3-0 victory aftter USF's Pablo Pires de Almeida retired due to illness. Francisco Zepponi gave the Broncos a 2-0 lead with an inspirational 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 win at the number three seed.
One of the top matches of the day was SCU's Bobby Rasmussen, who took a 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory at the number five seed. After dropping the first set 6-1 then splitting the first two games of the second set yesterday, he stormed back to win 11 of the next 15 games to take the victory.
Santa Clara 4, San Francisco 2
Date: Friday, February 18, 2005
Site: Degheri Tennis Center, Santa Clara, Calif.
Time: 1:30 p.m.
Weather: Slightly overcast, 57 degrees, slight wind
1. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Pablo Pires de Almeida (USF), 6-3, 3-0, ret
2. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Timo Kienle (USF), 7-6 (6), 6-7 (6), 6-3
3. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Fernando Rodriguez (USF), 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
4. Phil Riis Hansen (USF), def. Eric Kochanski (SCU), 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-1
5. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Falko Huttenberger (USF), 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Rafael Corraza (USF) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Bedilion / Macek (SCU) vs. Pires de Almeida (USF), dnp
2. Kochanski / Zepponi (SCU) vs. Andrew Hogan / Andrew Bertolina (USF), dnp
3. Rasmussen / Tyler Wilson (SCU) vs. Corraza / Rodriguez (USF), dnp
Santa Clara: 3-3, 1-1 WCC
San Francisco: 2-7, 0-2 WCC