Men's Tennis Falls to Third Straight Ranked Opponent
Jan. 30, 2005
IRVINE, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team took a third straight loss to a nationally-ranked opponent, this time falling 5-2 to 73rd-ranked UC Irvine this afternoon at Anteater Tennis Stadium in Irvine.
The matched marked the Broncos' third in four days. Santa Clara fell to No. 28 Cal and No. 27 Pepperdine on Thursday and Saturday, respectively, and is now 2-3 on the season. The Anteaters improve to 1-2 on the season.
Although the Broncos were swept in doubles for the second straight day, once again two tandems took their opponents to 8-6 matches. Freshman A.J. Kerin and sophomore Bobby Rasmussen paired together for the first time at No. 3 doubles, falling to another freshman/sophomore combination, Victor Lamm and Aaron Ellis, 8-6.
Kerin went on to win in singles play, besting Mustafa Ulukan 6-2, 7-6, 10-8 in the tiebreaker. Jan Macek notched the Broncos' other point of the match, topping Rye Kashiwabara in straight sets.
Santa Clara will take the next two weeks off from competition and return to action with a three-match homestand at the Degheri Center. The Broncos will host West Coast Conference rival San Francisco on Thursday, Feb. 17. First serve is set for 2:30 p.m. SCU will also host Utah and UC Santa Barbara during that weekend.
1. Morton/Kashiwabara (UCI) def. Bedilion/Macek (SCU) 8-3
2. Surapol/Ulukan (UCI) def. Zepponi/Kochanski (SCU) 8-6
3. Aaron Ellis/Lamm (UCI) def. Kerin/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-6
1. Brian Morton (UCI) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Jan Macek (SCU) def. Ryusuke Kashiwabara (UCI) 7-5, 6-1
3. Victor Lamm (UCI) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Peter Surapol (UCI) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-1, 7-6 (7)
5. Olof Sjolund (UCI) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. A.J. Kerin (SCU) def. Mustafa Ulukan (UCI) 6-2, 7-6 (8)