Men's Tennis Falls at No. 28 California
Jan. 27, 2005
BERKELEY, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to 28th-ranked California Bears on Thursday evening at the Hellman Tennis Complex. Santa Clara falls to 2-1 on the season while the Bears win their season opener.
The match was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but rainy weather delayed the contest two days.
The Bears' success carried over into singles as the home squad did not lose a set. Niland, ranked 21st nationally in singles, topped Bedilion 6-1, 7-5 at the top singles position.
"We were glad to have another shot this week after Tuesday's rainout," Bronco head coach George Husack said. "We felt ready to play, but so too were they. We can learn from the experience and move on; we'll be ready for this weekend."
Santa Clara will continue action this weekend with a West Coast Conference contest at Pepperdine on Saturday, followed by a match against UC Irvine on Sunday. The Broncos will return home on February 17 for a showdown with league rival San Francisco. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m. at the Degheri Tennis Center.
1. No. 30 Briaud/Niland (CAL) def. Bedilion/Macek (SCU) 8-5
2. Browne/Sebescen (CAL) def. Zepponi/Kochanski (SCU) 8-4
3. Nakahara/John Pettit (CAL) def. Ben Hidalgo /Rasmussen (SCU) 8-4
1. No. 21 Conor Niland (CAL) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Daniel Sebescen (CAL) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Patrick Briaud (CAL) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Tyler Browne (CAL) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ken Nakahara (CAL) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Dean Wallace (CAL) def. A.J. Kerin (SCU) 6-1. 6-3