Men's Tennis Places Fourth at WCC Tourney
April 25, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell 4-2 to Loyola Marymount to place fourth at the 2004 West Coast Conference Championships, hosted by the Broncos this weekend at the Degheri Tennis Center. Santa Clara closes the 2004 season with an 11-14 record.
The Broncos played today without senior Gernot Fischer, who injured his left ankle during yesterday's singles competition. His absence moved Ben Hidalgo and Eric Kochanski to the No. 1 doubles slot, where they fought to an 8-6 loss. Teammates Erich Chen and Francisco Zepponi paired up for the first time this season and earned a tiebreaker win on court three. For the second straight day, the Broncos looked to court two for the coveted doubles point, however Loyola Marymount was able to clinch the first point of the match with an intense battle, besting Taylor Bedilion and Kevin McQuaid 7-5 in the tiebreaker.
In singles action, Nico Terrien and Michael Wojnarowicz won for the Lions to go ahead 3-0 in the match. Santa Clara countered with Kochanski stepping into the No. 6 singles slot and earning a 6-1, 7-5 win for the Broncos. Bedilion followed with a win in his debut at the top singles slot, a 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 victory over LMU's Linas Cicenas.
Matt Phillips clinched the team victory for the Lions on court five.
Fischer received first team All-WCC singles honors, while McQuaid earned honorable mention recognition. In doubles, Fischer and Chen received honorable mention All-WCC honors.
"It was a bad break today, but the guys played well all weekend. I just think we ran out of steam," head coach George Husack said. "I am happy with our season and there is a lot left to accomplish for the future. It's going to be a bright one for the Broncos."
Loyola Marymount def. Santa Clara 4-2
1. Wojnarowicz/Phillips (LMU) def. Ben Hidalgo /Kochanski (SCU) 8-6
2. Berglund/Carlos Malet (LMU) def. Bedilion/McQuaid (SCU) 9-8 (5)
3. Chen/Zepponi (SCU) def. Terrien/Politanoff (LMU) 9-8 (4)
1. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
2. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Michael Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) vs. Beau Berglund (LMU) DNF
5. Matt Phillips (LMU) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4*
6. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Ashton Politanoff (LMU) 6-1, 7-5
* Clinched Team Victory