Men's Tennis Closes Regular Season with Win
April 17, 2004
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team earned their first road victory of the season, defeating Saint Mary's 6-1 this afternoon in West Coast Conference action in Moraga. The Broncos' record improves to 10-12 on the season. The Gaels fall to 13-9.
"I'm very happy with the guys in how they responded after Thursday's match," head coach George Husack said, referring to a tough loss earlier in the week. "We started off very intense in doubles carried it through in singles. It was a very solid match today, as well as a great way to prepare ourselves for a strong week of practice heading into the tournament, which we're very much looking forward to."
The Broncos swept doubles, including an 8-0 win by seniors Erich Chen and Gernot Fischer in the top position. Santa Clara went on to take five of six singles matches, including junior Francisco Zepponi's 6-2, 6-4 victory over Rafael Lopes, which clinched the team victory.
The Broncos will return home to the Degheri Tennis Center to host the 2004 West Coast Conference Championships April 23-25. Opponents and times will be released early next week.
Santa Clara def. Saint Mary's 6-1
1. Fischer/Chen (SCU) def. Marechal/Sion (SMC) 8-0
2. Ben Hidalgo /Kochanski (SCU) def. Whitlinger/Dino Paul Ferrari (SMC) 9-7
3. Zepponi/ McQuaid (SCU) def. Fauvre/Lopez (SMC) 8-6
1. Andre Sion (SMC) def. Gernot Fischer (SCU) 4-6, 7-5, (10-4)
2. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Martin Marechal (SMC) 6-4, 6-7 (4), (10-3)
3. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Vincent LeBorgne (SMC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Rafael Lopez (SMC) 6-2, 6-4*
5. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Adam Fauvre (SMC) 6-4, 2-6, (10-6)
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. J.J. Whitlinger (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
* Clinched Team Victory