March 25, 2004
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell 5-2 to 34th-ranked Arizona State this afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Broncos' record falls to 7-10 overall, while the Sun Devils improve to 7-7.
"It was a very close match; we were ahead at one time when we were up in a couple of matches," assistant coach Brett Masi said. "It looked like we had a strong chance to win but it didn't come through in the end."
The Broncos started strong by clinching the doubles point with 8-4 wins on courts two and three. In singles action, Arizona State secured straight-set victories by Christopher Biro, Chris Stewart and Clinton Letcher, and then clinched the competition with Jonathan Kinsella's come from-behind victory over Erich Chen.
SCU freshman Bobby Rasmussen earned the Broncos' second point with his 1-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Daniel Davies on court six.
The Broncos will continue Spring Break on the road Saturday at San Diego State. First serve is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
No. 34 Arizona State def. Santa Clara 5-2
1. Stewart/Kinsella (ASU) def. Fischer/Chen (SCU) 8-3
2. Kochanski/ Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Letcher/McBride (ASU) 8-4
3. Bedilion/McQuaid (SCU) def. Biro/Davies (ASU) 8-4
1. Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. No. 54 Gernot Fischer (SCU) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
2. Chris Stewart (ASU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4*
4. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 3-6, 7-6 (2), (12-10)
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Daniel Davies (ASU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
* Clinched Team Victory