Men's Tennis Falls to No. 30 Fresno State 5-2
March 7, 2004
FRESNO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to 30th-ranked Fresno State 5-2 this afternoon at the Wathen Tennis Center. The Broncos' record falls to 5-8, with their second loss of the season to FSU. The Bulldogs improve to 6-4 with their fifth straight victory.
Fischer went on to singles play and defeated a nationally-ranked opponent for the second time this weekend. He topped 86th-ranked Greg Shearer for the third time this season, 6-3, 6-4, for his 20th win of the season. Chen earned the Broncos' other point on court three, besting Suta 6-2, 6-4.
The Broncos return home for a midweek conference match, hosting San Francisco on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Santa Clara will then break for winter quarter finals and return on Sunday, March 21, hosting U.S. Air Force at 11 a.m. Both matches will take place at the Degheri Tennis Center.
No. 30 Fresno State def. Santa Clara 5-2
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. No. 86 Greg Shearer (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alex Krohn (FSU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
3. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Stefan Suta (FSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Charles Irie (FSU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jure Kekez (FSU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
6. Jakub Cech (FSU) def. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 6-3, 7-5*
* Clinched Team Victory