March 5, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to 33rd-ranked Boise State 4-3 this afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center. The SCU Broncos' record falls to 5-7, while the BSU Broncos improve to 10-3.
Boise State swept doubles play, but senior Erich Chen tied the match at 1-1, with his 6-3, 6-3 win over Matias Silva on court three. Mahmoud Rezk and Thomas Schoeck earned victories for the visitors to increase their match lead 3-1, but the home squad remained tough and pulled closer with junior Francisco Zepponi's court four win.
Boise State clinched the match with James Ludlow's come-from-behind win at No. 6 singles. SCU senior Gernot Fischer ended his team's day on a high note, besting 39th-ranked Guillaume Bouvier 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 at the top singles slot for Santa Clara's final point of the competition.
"After a slow start, we came out intense and ready to go in singles," SCU head coach George Husack said. "I have to hand it to Boise; they were up against the ropes and fought the entire match. We've had several 4-3 matches this season right within our reach. Today's a tough one to stomach, but we're a better team for it."
The Broncos return to the courts on Sunday, visiting No 30. Fresno State for a 1 p.m. non-conference battle.
No. 33 Boise State def. Santa Clara 4-3
1. Schoeck/Bouvier (BSU) def. Fischer/Chen (SCU) 8-5
2. Silva/Rezk (BSU) def. Bedilion/Kochanski (SCU) 8-4
3. Ehren Vaughan/Ludlow (BSU) def. Zepponi/ Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 8-2
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. No. 39 Guillaume Bouvier (BSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. No. 97 Thomas Schoeck (BSU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (8)
3. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Matias Silva (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Nils Klemann (BSU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Mahmoud Rezk (BSU) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
6. James Ludlow (BSU) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4*
* Clinched Team Victory