Feb. 28, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team defeated West Coast Conference opponent Loyola Marymount 5-2 this afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos' record improves to 4-6, 1-1, while the Lions fall to 3-5, 0-3.
SCU head coach George Husack mixed up his doubles lineup, creating three new tandems to face the Lions. The move paid off, as seniors Gernot Fischer and Erich Chen earned an 8-6 victory over Linas Cicenas and Beau Berglund on the first court, allowing juniors Taylor Bedilion and Eric Kochanski to clinch the first point of the afternoon on the second court, with their tiebreaker victory, 9-8 (7-5) over the Lions' Michael Wojnarowicz and Matt Phillips.
"We wanted a quicker start and more intensity, and we got it," Husack said post-match. "However we still need to work on maintaining that energy and being more efficient throughout the entire match."
"Bobby's performance was a picture-perfect illustration of putting what we do in practice into a match," Husack added.
Loyola Marymount avoided the sweep with Wojnarowicz' 6-3, 6-3 win on the fourth court over junior Francisco Zepponi. Nico Terrien added a 7-5, 6-4 win on the second court over Bedilion. Down 4-1 in the second set, Terrien won the last five games to close the competition for the afternoon.
The Broncos remain at home at host Saint Mary's in continuing WCC action tomorrow at noon. Admission is free.
Santa Clara def. Loyola Marymount 5-2
1. Fischer/Chen (SCU) def. Cicenas/Berglund (LMU) 8-6
2. Bedilion/Kochanski (SCU) def. Wojnarowicz/Phillips (LMU) 9-8 (5)
3. Terrien/Ashton Politanoff (LMU) def. Zepponi/Rasmussen (SCU) 8-2
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Linas Cicenas (LMU) 6-1, 6-4*
2. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Beau Berglund (LMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Michael Wojnarowicz (LMU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Carlos Malet (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
* Clinched Team Victory