Men's Tennis Loses to 56th-Ranked New Mexico
Jan. 30, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to 56th-ranked New Mexico in cool and overcast conditions Friday at the Santa Clara University Tennis Center.
Taylor Bedilion registered the lone singles victory for the Broncos, battling to a 6-4, 7-6 (3) victory over New Mexico's Ryan Scotland.
The Broncos move to 2-3 on the season, while New Mexico improved to 2-0. Both teams play at San Francisco next. New Mexico faces the Dons on Saturday, while the Broncos visit USF on Wednesday. Both matches will be played at the Olympic Club.
The Lobos opened the match by winning the critical doubles point after taking two of three matches. Erich Chen and Kevin McQuaid dropped an 8-2 decision to UNM's Hiroud Akhavan and Divan Coetzee at the number two position before SCU's number one team of Gernot Fischer and Eric Kochanski raced to an 8-4 victory over David Kowalski and Ryan Scotland to tie the score.
New Mexico's team of Kowalski/Scotland is currently ranked 37th nationally, while Fischer/Kochanski are 49th.
SCU's Bedilion and Ben Hidalgo were within a break point of tying their match 5-apiece at the number three position against New Mexico's Henry Gers and Jasmin Hodzic. But, the duo was unable to close the match, losing three-straight games and and an 8-4 decision.
Santa Clara returns to action on Wednesday when it travels to face West Coast Conference opponent San Francisco in a 2 p.m. match at the Olympic Club. New Mexico plays at San Francisco tomorrow at 2 p.m.
New Mexico 6, Santa Clara 1
January 30, 2004
Santa Clara University Tennis Center
1. Divan Coetzee (UNM) def. Gernot Fischer (SCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. David Kowalski (UNM) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Hiroud Akhavan (UNM) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) v. Ryan Scotland (UNM) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
5. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-4, 6-5
6. Nick Ames (UNM) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Fischer / Konchanski (SCU) def. Kowaski / Scotland (UNM) 8-4
2. Akhavan / Coetzee (UNM) def. Chen / McQuaid (SCU) 8-2
3. Gers / Hodzic (UNM) def. Bedilion / Hidalgo (SCU) 8-4
New Mexico: 2-0
Santa Clara: 2-3
Santa Clara: February 4 at San Francisco
New Mexico: January 31 at San Francisco