Jan. 25, 2004
EUGENE, Ore. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to 60th-ranked Oregon 5-2 this afternoon at the Tennis Center in Eugene. The Broncos fall to 2-2 with the loss, while the match was the Ducks' season opener.
Senior Gernot Fischer avenged his October loss to Thomas Bieri at the ITA Regional with his victory this afternoon at the top singles spot, besting Bieri 6-2, 6-2. Freshman Kevin McQuaid scored the Broncos' other point, with his 6-3, 7-6 win over Chris King at No. 6 singles.
"We came out very flat in our top two doubles spots and that made it hard to win the match in singles," head coach George Husack said post-match. "Overall, I think this was a good trip. We played two ranked opponents and it has shown our squad what it takes to beat good teams."
The Broncos return home and will play a third straight ranked opponent, this time hosting 56th-ranked New Mexico on Friday. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Doubles1. Swinnen/Spencer(ORE) def. No. 49 Fischer/Kochanski (SCU) 8-3
2. Bieri/Kost (ORE) def. Chen/McQuaid (SCU) 8-1
3. King/Schiller (ORE) def. Bedilion/Hidalgo (SCU) 9-7
Singles1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Thomas Bieri (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
2. Sven Swinnen (ORE) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Markus Schiller (ORE) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
4. Manuel Kost (ORE) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Arron Spencer (ORE) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Chris King (ORE) 6-3, 7-6