Men's Tennis Falls to No. 11 Washington
Jan. 23, 2004
SEATTLE, Wash. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to 11th-ranked Washington 7-0 this evening at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. The Broncos fall to 2-1 with the loss, while the match was the Huskies' season opener. Washington has never lost to SCU in the programs' five previous meetings.
Washington was in control from the outset and did not drop a single set versus the Broncos for the second straight year.
"I was very happy with the way we played," head coach George Husack said. "Washington is tough to play at home and had a great crowd on hand. We played well and we didn't back down at all."
Washington started out quickly by sweeping the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead, led by the 11th-ranked combo of Alex Slovic and Alex Vlaski who picked up an 8-2 win over 49th-ranked Gernot Fischer and Eric Kochanski. The Huskies maintained their focus into the singles competition, where Vlaski, who is ranked second nationally, earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over Fischer at No. 1 singles, clinching the win for Washington with three matches still in progress.
Taylor Bedilion stretched his opponent to the limit at No. 3 singles, taking Daniel Chu to two tiebreaks.
The Broncos remain in the Northwest and will return to the courts on Sunday in Eugene, Ore., to take on the 60th-ranked Oregon Ducks.
Doubles1. No. 11 Vlaski/Slovic (WASH) def. No. 49 Fischer/Kochanski (SCU) 8-2
2. Chu/Nick Weiss (WASH) def. Chen/McQuaid (SCU) 8-6
3. Scott Felsenthal/Scharler (WASH) def. Bedilion/Hidalgo (SCU) 8-5
Singles1. No. 2 Alex Vlaski (WASH) def. Gernot Fischer (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 53 Alex Slovic (WASH) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-0, 6-0
3. No. 61 Christoph Palmanshofer (WASH) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Daniel Chu (WASH) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (8)
5. Peter Scharler (WASH) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Chris Floyd (WASH) def. Kevin McQuaid (SCU) 6-4, 6-3