Men's Tennis Cruises Past UC Davis
Jan. 17, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team picked up its second win of the day, cruising to a 6-1 victory over UC Davis Saturday afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. Earlier in the day the Broncos (2-0) beat UC Santa Cruz by a 4-3 score.
"Today was a long day with lots of tennis for our guys," said SCU head coach George Husack. "I am very happy with where we are and the growth that we have shown. We need to continue to take advantage of the opportunities given to us throughout the year."
Erich Chen and Kevin McQuaid cruised to an easy 8-1 victory over Kyle Trinosky and Ross Barasch in the second doubles match while Taylor Bedilion and Bobby Rasmussen edged Bastian Bartels and Mike Chin by a 8-5 count on court three to give SCU the doubles point in the match.
Fischer and Kochanski also won their singles matches despite falling behind after the first set. Fischer rallied to beat Chin 4-6, 6-1 and 6-1 while Kochanski came from behind for a 0-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over Casey McMackin.
Rasmussen, the freshman from Greenwood Village, Colo., looked very good in his win over Blake Roberts, winning his match in straight sets, while Hidalgo also cruised to a win over Bartels on court four. Bedilion rounded out the Bronco victories in singles action with his 6-1, 7-6 victory over Robert Wong.
Jayce Fitch was the only UC Davis (0-1) player to capture a point on the afternoon, defeating Francisco Zepponi in three sets, 5-7, 6-2 and 6-1.
Santa Clara continues its 2004 season next weekend as it travels to the Pacific Northwest for a pair of matches at Pac-10 foes Washington and Oregon on January 23 and 25, respectively.
Santa Clara 6, UC Davis 1SINGLES
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Mike Chin (UCD) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Eric Kochanski (SCU) def. Casey McMakin (UCD) - 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Robert Wong (UCD) - 6-1, 7-6
4. Jayce Fitch (UCD) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
5. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Bastian Bartels - 6-1, 6-3
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Blake Roberts (UCD) - 6-1, 6-1
1. Fischer/Kochanski (SCU) def. Kyle McMackin/C. McMackin(UCD) - 9-8 (5)
2. Erich Chen/Kevin McQuaid (SCU) def. Kyle Trinosky/Ross Barasch (UCD) - 8-1
3. Bedilion/Rasmussen (SCU) def. Bartels/Chin (UCD) - 8-5