April 11, 2003
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team opened the West Coast Conference Championship this morning with a 4-1 loss to San Francisco. The Broncos, seeded fifth in the tournament, fall to 8-14 overall while San Francisco improves to 17-6. The tournament is being hosted by the University of San Diego at the newly-renovated West Courts.
According to league format, matches are halted once the doubles point in clinched, and again once the match winner is determined.
Senior Federico Mattioli was the lone Bronco to earn a victory, topping Don Christian Dyvik 6-3, 6-2 on the fourth singles court.
"We got off to a slow start win doubles and that put us on the ropes," SCU head coach George Husack said. "We came out charged in singles, which was a complete reversal of intensity. But you have to credit USF. They've had a good season and they didn't let up. Fortunately, we have a lot of tennis left in this weekend."
The WCC Championships continue through Sunday. Santa Clara will take on eighth-seeded Gonzaga Saturday morning at 9 a.m.
1. Lien/Mason Fuller (USF) def. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) 8-1
2. Jon Lippert/Elvik (USF) def. Ruso/Zepponi (SCU) 8-2
3. Arnesen/Pires De Almeda (USF) vs. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) DNF
1. Joachim Lien (USF) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jorgen Arnesen (USF) vs. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) DNF
3. Pablo Pires De Almeda (USF) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Christian Divik (USF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Axel Elvik (USF) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Romain Van Rillas (USF) vs. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) DNF