Men's Tennis Falls to No. 38 Fresno State
April 5, 2003
FRESNO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to 38th-ranked Fresno State 5-2 this afternoon at the Wathen Tennis Center in Fresno. Santa Clara's record falls to 7-11 overall. The Bulldogs win their fifth straight match in improve to 12-6 on the season.
Fresno State swept doubles play and improved to 10-0 this season when clinching the doubles point.
The Broncos will travel to Moraga on Monday, to play a postponed match against Saint Mary's. Originally scheduled for April 2, the West Coast Conference match will be played at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex at 3 p.m. Santa Clara will close the regular season at home on Tuesday, hosting Pacific at 2 p.m. at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos will honor two seniors playing in their last home match, Bruggemann and Mattioli.
1. Almada/Modoc (FSU) def. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) 8-3
2. Shearer/Suta (FSU) def. Rick Ruso /Zepponi (SCU) 8-6
3. Alex Krohn/Sinn (FSU) def. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) 8-4
1. Hector Almada (FSU) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Stefan Suta (FSU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Greg Shearer (FSU) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Marc Schaerer (FSU) 3-6, 7-5, (10-8)
5. Andy Sinn (FSU) def. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Sergiu Modoc (FSU) 6-0, 6-3