March 7, 2003
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to the University of Portland 4-3 this evening at the LP Tennis Center in Portland. The Broncos' record moves to 5-8 overall, 2-2 in WCC play.
Santa Clara's top doubles tandem of Erich Chen and Michael Bruggemann opened the afternoon by defeating Roman Borvanov and Quinn Borchard 8-3. Portland evened the match with a win on the second doubles court, but the Broncos earned the coveted point when Federico Mattioli and Taylor Bedilion broke back at 8-7 to force a tiebreak. They won 7-5 in the tiebreaker.
"It was great to get the doubles point," SCU head coach George Husack said. "We had the momentum in our favor."
The Pilots countered during singles play with straight-set victories on courts two and three. Chen evened the match with a strong victory at the top singles spot, topping All-WCC player Peter Malacek in three sets.
Portland took the match lead again with a victory on court five, but Mattioli's victory at No. 4 singles tied the match at three points apiece. Peter Miskovic clinched the match for the Pilots with a 6-4, 6-3 win.
"Erich stepped up big today with his victory," Husack added. "We had our chances, but unfortunately, they didn't go our way. This was a tough loss, but we've got a big task ahead of us in the Huskies tomorrow, so we'll refocus tonight and be ready."
The Broncos remain in the Northwest and will take on 10th-ranked Washington on Saturday afternoon. The match will begin at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center at 2 p.m.
1. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) def. Borvanov/ Borchard (PORT) 8-5
2. Malacek/ Hernandez (PORT) def. Hidalgo/Zepponi (SCU) 8-3
3. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Redpath/Ty Garrison (PORT) 9-8 (5)
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Peter Malacek (PORT) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
2. Roman Borvanov (PORT) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Quinn Borchard (PORT) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 7-6 (2), 6-1
4. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Ramiro Hernandez (PORT) 6-2, 7-6 (7)
5. James Redpath (PORT) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Peter Miskovic (PORT) def Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 6-4, 6-3