Feb. 22, 2003
BOISE, Idaho - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to No. 64 New Mexico 6-1 this evening at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center in Boise. Santa Clara is now 4-6 on the season.
Henry Gers and Brent Salazar lost 8-6 at the No. 1 doubles spot to SCU's Francisco Zepponi and Erich Chen and Divan Coetzee and Nick Ames dropped their No. 3 match to Federico Mattioli and Taylor Bedilion, giving the Broncos the doubles point. But the Lobos rallied on the singles side, capturing all six points to take the easy victory.
A pre-match car accident sidelined UNM senior Bart Scott with a knee injury, as Lobo head coach Alan Dils said the team's vehicle was ran into on the way to the match. All but Scott, the nation's 60th-ranked player, emerged without injury and Dils said Scott's status for tomorrow's match with Boise State University is uncertain.
The Broncos return to the SCU Tennis Center and will host San Francisco On Thursday, Feb. 27 at 2 p.m.
1. Chen/Zepponi (SCU) def. Henry Gers/Salazar (UNM) 8-6
2. Kowalski/Hodzic (UNM) def. Bruggemann/Ruso (SCU) 8-3
3. Bedilion/Mattioli (SCU) def. Coetzee/Nick Ames (UNM) 9-7
1. No. 67 Divan Coetzee (UNM) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 7-6 (3), 6-3
2. David Kowalski (UNM) def. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
3. David Salazar (UNM) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU) 4-6, 7-6 (6), (10-5)
4. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
5. Henry Gers (UNM) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 7-6 (6), 6-1
6. Nick Ames (UNM) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 6-2, 6-2