Men's Tennis Falls to Boise State 6-1
Feb. 21, 2003
BOISE, Idaho - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to Boise State 6-1 this evening at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center in Boise. Santa Clara is now 4-5 on the season and will look to rebound against New Mexico on Saturday afternoon. That match will also be played at Boas and is scheduled for a 1 p.m. first serve.
Santa Clara head coach George Husack switched the Broncos doubles teams, moving sophomore Francisco Zepponi to the No. 1 spot with junior Erich Chen. The tandem combined to defeat the nationally-ranked duo of Marcus Berntson and Guillaume Bouvier 8-6. The Boise State pair was ranked 42nd by the ITA.
Boise State tied the doubles competition with an 8-6 win on the second court. SCU had two match points on the third court, but could not hold out, falling the tie break.
Santa Clara avoided the sweep with Zepponi's win at No. 2 singles. He moved up one spot in the rotation for today's match and earned a 7-5, 7-6 victory over Thomas Schoeck.
1. Chen/Zepponi (SCU) def. No. 42 Berntson/Bouvier (BSU) 8-6
2. Rezk/Schoeck (BSU) def. Michael Bruggemann /Ruso (SCU) 8-6
3. Silva/Vaughan (BSU) def. Bedilion/Mattioli (SCU) 9-8 (4)
1. No. 86 Marcus Berntson (BSU) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 7-6 (2), 6-3
2. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Thomas Schoeck (BSU) 7-5, 7-6 (4)
3. Guillaume Bouvier (BSU) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mahmoud Rezk (BSU) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Matias Silva (BSU) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ehren Vaughan (BSU) def. Ben Hidalgo (SCU) 6-4, 6-2