Men's Tennis Drops Close Match to Cal Poly
Feb. 1, 2003
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team fell to Cal Poly 4-3 this evening at in San Luis Obispo. Despite winning the doubles point, the Broncos couldn't hold on in singles and fall to 2-3 overall.
"Cal Poly just out-competed us," SCU head coach George Husack said. "They had a great crowd on hand. We knew that going in, but it still might have affected us. We had some lapses in concentration that just hurt us in the end."
The Broncos won on the first and third doubles court. Senior Federico Mattioli and sophomore Taylor Bedilion combined for an 8-3 win, while senior Michael Bruggemann and junior Erich Chen clinched the doubles point with their 8-6 victory over Cal Poly's Brett Van Linge and Davey Jones.
In singles, sophomores Francisco Zepponi and Bedilion notched straight-set wins, but Cal Poly came from behind to four of the six matches.
With the match tied at three points apiece, the game-winning match came down to court three, where Van Linge earned a three-set win over Mattioli, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4.
The Broncos return home and host Hawaii on Tuesday, Feb. 11, to start a three-match homestand. First serve for doubles will be at 2 p.m.
1. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) def. Van Linge/Jones (CP) 8-6
2. Tracy/Levy (CP) def. Ruso/Zepponi (SCU) 8-6
3. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Meronoff/Garrett Leight (CP) 8-3
1. Nick Tracy (CP) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Davey Jones (CP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Brett Van Linge (CP) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
4. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Stacy Meronoff (CP) 6-2, 6-4
5. Travis Crawford (CP) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. Greg Levy (CP) def. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) 6-1, 6-1