Jan. 18, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team opened the 2003 season with a 5-2 victory over UC Santa Cruz this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Slugs are ranked fourth nationally in the Division III standings. The win gives Santa Clara its 12th-straight at home, dating back to last season's 11-0 perfect mark.
In singles action, sophomores Francisco Zepponi and Taylor Bedilion recorded wins to give Santa Clara a 3-0 match lead. UC Santa Cruz scored its first point of the day with Brunner's 6-2, 6-4 win over Rick Ruso on court five.
Courts 1, 3 and 6 went to three sets, with the Broncos needing only one victory to clinch the match. Bruggemann earned the team victory for Santa Clara with his come-from-behind win over Bryce Parmelly, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
"Francisco had his total game face on the whole day," head coach George Husack said. "And hats off to Michael for clinching the victory. He told me how he loved having the crowd cheer him on. In fact, we had a lot of fans out here today; it was a great show of support."
The support was also for Husack, who debuted as a head coach this afternoon.
"I was edgy at first and the nerves were going, but I'm glad we got through it," he said. "We have some work to do to prepare for some big matches next weekend.
Brian Casey, ranked sixth in the country at the Division III level, defeated Chen on the first court in three sets to give the Slugs their second and final point of the afternoon.
Senior Federico Mattioli ended the action today with his third-set tie break.
The Broncos will begin a four-match road trip next weekend, visiting No. 61 Arizona on Saturday at 11 a.m. and No. 41 Arizona State on Sunday at noon.
Santa Clara def. UC Santa Cruz 5-2Singles
1. Brian Casey (UCSC) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Kevin Casey (UCSC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Shane Templeman (UCSC) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (6)
4. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Andrew Cohen (UCSC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Matt Brunner (UCSC) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Bryce Parmelly (UCSC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Bruggemann/Chen (SCU) def. Ben Bartels/Brunner (UCSC) 8-3
2. Ruso/Zepponi (SCU) def. B. Casey/Cohen (UCSC) 8-2
3. Bedilion/Mattioli (SCU) def. K. Casey/Templeman (UCSC) 8-1