Feb. 17, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team defeated UC Santa Barbara 4-3 in dual action this afternoon at the Santa Clara Tennis Center, finishing play moments before rain would have postponed the match.
The Broncos improve to 4-2 on the year, with head coach Sean Burns notching his 101st career victory. The Gauchos fall to 1-4. Today's victory also marks the first time the Broncos have defeated UCSB in the program's history.
In singles play, senior Matt Cox clinched the victory for the Broncos, rallying at the second singles spot to defeat UCSB's Marcin Kosakowski, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. His match concluded moments after Bronco Federico Mattioli tied the match at three-all with his three-set victory at No. 5 singles, over the Gauchos' Alex Yaftali, 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-1.
UC Santa Barbara won two of three doubles matches to earn the afternoon's first point, taking courts two and three. Santa Clara's top duo of sophomores Mike Bruggemann and Ryan Livesay defeated J.J. Stewart and Marcin Kosakowski 8-6 at No. 1 doubles.
The Broncos remain at home and will host Sacramento State on Wednesday, Feb. 21. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.
Santa Clara 4, UC Santa Barbara 3
1. J.J. Stewart (UCSB) def. Ryan Livesay (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Matt Cox (SCU) def. Marcin Kosakowski (UCSB) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Michael Duong (SCU) def. Scott Schnugg (UCSB) 6-4, 6-4
4. Victor Camargo (SCU) def. Marcio Pepe (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Federico Mattioli (SCU) def. Alex Yaftali (UCSB) 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-1
6. Michael Faust (UCSB) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
1. Mike Bruggemann/Livesay (SCU) def. Stewart/Kosakowski (UCSB) 8-6
2. Schnugg/Yaftali (UCSB) def. Chen/Cox (SCU) 8-3
3. Placek/Faust (UCSB) def. Duong/Ruso (SCU) 8-6