Jan. 27, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara men's tennis team opened the 2001 home season with a 6-1 defeat of UC Davis in dual action this afternoon at the Santa Clara Tennis Center. With the win, the 75th-ranked Broncos improve to 1-2 on the year, while UC Davis falls to 0-1.
The Broncos swept the Aggies in doubles play, as sophomores Mike Bruggemann and Ryan Livesay defeated Greg Lee and Yaro Vinogradsky 8-5 at the No. 1 spot.
Bronco freshman Erich Chen, playing in his first collegiate home match, was down 5-0 in the third set before taking the next seven straight games to defeat Greg Ford 3-6, 6-0, 7-5 on the fifth singles court.
The Aggies scored their only point at the fourth singles spot, as Richard Galang topped SCU's Federico Mattioli 7-5, 6-4.
The Broncos will play a home/away double header next Saturday, Feb. 3. Santa Clara hosts Nevada-Reno at 10 a.m. at the Santa Clara Tennis Center before traveling to San Francisco for a 3 p.m. West Coast Conference contest.
No. 75 Santa Clara 6, UC Davis 1
1. Matt Cox (SCU) def. Greg Lee (UCD) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
2. Ryan Livesay (SCU) def. Yaro Vinogradsky (UCD) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Michael Duong (SCU) def. Paul Dilloway (UCD) 6-4, 6-2
4. Richard Galang (UCD) def. Federico Mattioli (SCU) 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Greg Ford (UCD) 3-6, 6-0, 7-5
6. Victor Camargo (SCU) def. Creighton Macy (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
1. Mike Bruggemann/Livesay (SCU) def. Lee/Vinogradsky (UCD) 8-5
2. Chen/Cox (SCU) def. Dilloway/Tabar (UCD) 8-4
3. Duong/Ruso (SCU) def. Macy/Trinosky (UCD) 8-2