Broncos Fall at No. 19 Washington

Broncos Fall at No. 19 Washington

SEATTLE, Wash. – In the second game of the season, Santa Clara men's soccer fell at No. 19 Washington on Tuesday. The loss puts the Broncos at 0-2-0 and the Huskies at 3-0-0. 

Santa Clara will play its next game at home on Sat., Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. against Stanford.

The Broncos and Huskies were even in shots at 13-13 but the Broncos outshot the Huskies 9-6 in shots on goal. Bronco newcomer Parker Holland saw his first minutes for Santa Clara and notched his first collegiate goal.

"For a second game in a row we got off to a slow start which is concerning," said Bronco head coach Cameron Rast. "Early in each match we have conceded a goal or goals which put us on our heels. In both games they came off of set pieces, today it was a long throw. We have to do better in these situations."

An area coach Rast would like the team to focus more on is to compete right from the starting whistle. "There is no grace period, no time to settle in. We have to ready from the start," said Rast.

The Huskies took an early lead against the Broncos after Washington's Michael Harris took a flip throw-in about 35 yards out on the Broncos' left flank. The ball bounced into the net after deflecting off of Washington's Taylor Peay to make the score 1-0 three minutes into the game.

In the seventh minute, Peay took a low hard shot to the corner of the Broncos net to make the score 2-0.

Twenty minutes into the game, a Bronco corner kick from the right side by Carlos Montes sent the ball across the box to Mark Daus. Daus deflected the cross with his head on frame but the Huskies keeper, Spencer Richey, tipped the header over the net.

Almost four minutes later, a free kick by the Huskies sent the ball into the Bronco box and was deflected by the head of James Moberg for Washington's third goal of the night making the score 3-0 UW.

With 12 minutes left in the first half, a hard shot at the top of the box by Phillip Muscarella was blocked by Richey. The ball bounced back into the Huskies box for a rebound shot by Cesar Rocha that was also stopped by Richey.

In the 44th minute, Peay had his third goal of the night when the ball was served into the Broncos box for Peay to shoot it into the top corner of the net. The men finished the first half with a score of 4-0 in favor of the Huskies.

In the 66th minute, a blocked shot by Matt Escobar sparked the Broncos offense in the second half. 

A corner for the Broncos in the 81st minute was served long, past the far post where Daus kept it in play by volleying it back in front of the goalmouth. Parker Holland was able to get a foot on the ball to bounce it past Washington's keeper, Ryan Herman, for the final goal of the night to make the score 4-1 for the Huskies.

Game Notes: Parker Holland played his first minutes for the Broncos … Two yellow cards were given in the game to Washington's Ian Lange and Andy Thomas.

Written by Lauren Matheson '13, Sports Assistant