SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara University's men's soccer head coach Cameron Rast has announced seven high school seniors have all committed to attend Santa Clara University and play for the Broncos in 2013.
Santa Clara landed a deep class, loading up on five U.S. Soccer Development Academy players, including area star Edson Cardona (San Jose, Calif.); two Southern California stand outs: Brennan Castro (Los Angeles, Calif.) and Parker Holland (San Diego, Calif.), a full time residency player at Shattuck's / St. Mary's – forward - Steve Eneme (York, Penn.) and an experienced defender: Aexander Ligeti (Boca Raton, Florida).
"The class for this year has a quality blend of intelligent soccer minds, plenty of athleticism and a group committed to helping us reach the highest level of the collegiate game," said Rast. "We have scoured the entire country to put this group together and I look forward to having them here on campus this summer to work with them."
The Broncos have a storied soccer tradition, qualifying for 19 NCAA College Cup Tournaments. SCU advanced to the 2006 NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight and the Sweet 16 in 2007. Rast has led the Broncos to a 125-64-40 record during his tenure as head coach.
2013 SCU Men's Soccer Signees (Mini-Bios and Quotes from Rast Follow):
Micah Cabagbag – Honolulu, Hawaii (Iolani High School/Abunai Soccer Academy)
Brennan Castro – Los Angeles, Calif. (Brentwood School/Real So Cal)
Haru Kent – Tokyo, Japan (The American School in Japan/Aoba-Japan International School)
Alexander Ligeti – Boca Raton, Florida (North Broward Prep/Weston FC Academy)
Edson Cardona – San Jose, Calif. (Bellarmine College Prep/DeAnza Force Academy)
Parker Holland – San Diego, Calif. (Cathedral Catholic/San Diego Surf Academy)
Steve Eneme – York, Penn. (Shattuck-St. Mary's High School/Shattuck-St.Mary's Academy)
Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii
High School: Iolani High School
Club Team: Abunai Soccer Academy
Coach Rast on Cabagbag: "There are talented players out of Hawaii every year and Micah is a good one. His ability to come forward with pace on the ball puts defenses under pressure. He plays at a high level of intensity and yet has a great element of control. With his ability and potential he will be a great player to grow with our program. "
- Received All-ILH Conference as a junior and senior
- 2011 Second Team All-State
- Led Iolani High School to 3rd place in 2011
- Coached by Chris Lee, Aundrea Toner, and Darrin Goo
- Member of Hawaii ODP Program (Olympic Development Program)
- Spent three years in ODP Region Region IV Pool
- Three-time state champion with Abunai Soccer Academy
Position: Left defender
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
High School: Brentwood School
Club Team: Real So Cal
Coach Rast on Castro: "Brennan is a great fit for us. He comes from a strong soccer family background and a great development club in Real So Cal. His athleticism will allow him to play on the flank for us either in an attacking role or a defending one. He has the ability to settle the ball and play but is best when running the lines. We believe he will add a lot to our team through is reliable play and strength in character."
- Team was undefeated at USSF 2011 Development Academy Winter Showcase
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Player (Real So Cal)
- Earned 2nd Team All-League for Brentwood School as a freshman and sophomore
- Invited to play in the NI Milk Cup with the Irvine Strikers
- Helped Irvine Strikers earn 2nd place in the Globe Cup
- Coached by Terry Davilla on Real So Cal
Hometown: Tokyo, Japan
High School: The American School in Japan
Club Team: Aoba-Japan International School
Coach Rast on Kent: "Haru impressed us with his technical ability and strong, physical play. The Japanese style requires a mastery of technique and high physical intensity to play. We look forward to Haru bringing some of that to our team. He will compete for time in the midfield with these qualities."
- Helped AJIS defeat Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama in the finals
- Three-time Varsity Kanto Plain Tournament Champions
- Scored 18 goals during his junior regular season
- Earned the Soccer Golden Boot and MVP Offense as a junior in 2011
Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla.
High School: North Broward Prep
Club Team: USDA Weston FC
Coach Rast on Ligeti: "We went across the country to recruit Alex to Santa Clara. He has a great understanding of the game and is a player who can build out of the back. He can be practical about the game as well as creative and we hope he will adjust quickly to the physical nature of the college game."
- Member of Weston FC Developmental Academy
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Player (USDA Weston FC)
- Helped North Broward Prep advance to the regional quarter finals in 2011
- Coached by Diego Cardona at North Broward Prep
- Earned 12 goals and 14 assists as a defender
Position: Center Midfielder
Hometown: San Jose, Calif.
High School: Bellarmine College Prep
Club Team: DeAnza Force Academy
Coach Rast on Cardona: "Edson can play in many roles because of his functional ability as a player. This versatility makes him very valuable for our team. He can get ahold of the ball and be very creative in his play. His control and technique are outstanding allowing us to play through him."
- Helped club team reach 17th in the nation
- As a freshman in 2009, led the team in goals scored
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Player (DeAnza Force Academy)
Hometown: San Diego, Calif.
High School: Cathedral Catholic
Club Team: San Diego Surf
Coach Rast on Holland: "Parker is a multi sport athlete. He plays for the San Diego Surf Academy and has won a CIF section title in basketball for Cathedral Catholic in San Diego. His ability to excel at such a high level in two sports gives you an idea of just how talented he is. He is a great competitor and has proven an ability to win across sporting lines."
- Played as a forward for the Olympic Development Program
- Member of North Carolina 1st Team for three consecutive years
- U.S. Soccer Development Academy Player (San Diego Surf)
- Has started every game for San Diego Surf
- Also played as a point-guard for high school basketball team
Hometown: York, Penn.
High School: Shattuck-St. Mary's High School
Club Team: Shattuck-St.Mary's Academy
Coach Rast on Eneme: "Steve is a talent. He has good size and can make defenders lives very difficult. His can break teams down on the dribble but has an ability to combine as well. He plays wide but could develop into a target. He loves to work at his game and will push others to become better. "
- Made DA Playoffs in 2011-2012
- Leading goal scorer for club team in 2011-2012
- Nominated ESPN Disney Showcase Interregional All-Star in 2010