DeVey's Heroics Lead SCU To Victory

DeVey's Heroics Lead SCU To Victory

Sep. 4, 2005

FULLERTON, Calif. - For the second-straight game, the Santa Clara University men's soccer team entered the waning minutes with the score tied. And, for the second-straight game, junior forward Keith DeVey came up with terrific game-winning heroics.

DeVey's rebound goal with less than five minutes to play Sunday afternoon was the difference in Santa Clara's a 1-0 men's soccer victory over Cal State Fullerton at Titan Stadium.

The Broncos, which knocked off second-ranked UCLA Friday night by a 3-2 score on a Devey goal with fewer than three minutes to play, are now 2-0. The Titans fell to 0-2 and have yet to score on the season in its two outings.

"Fullerton played very direct, hit it long and made us battle for the ball," said SCU head coach Cameron Rast. "Both teams had several chances. Once we settled down a bit in the second half, I thought we played pretty well. Fortunately, Keith came through in the end and we got out of there with a road win."

Santa Clara returns to action Friday at 5 p.m. at second-ranked Maryland in the adidas Maryland Classic in College Park, Md. The match will be televised live by Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic and on a tape-delayed basis at 9 p.m. (pacific) by Comcast SportsNet West. The network is available on a number of cable systems throughout its respective regions as well as Directv and Dish Network.

Senior Kelechi Igwe dribbled in from the left flank and took a hard shot that deflected off Fullerton freshman keeper Kevin Puder and Devey booted the loose ball across the goal line. Puder had entered the match early in the second half when starting goalkeeper Bobby Armstrong developed vision problems.

Christopher Moreo made four saves to post his first shutout of the young season for Santa Clara. There were few excellent scoring changes in the evenly played match. Matt Hatzke hit the left post midway through the first half for Santa Clara and the Broncos unsuccessfully rattled a loose ball around but not past Puder with about 10 minutes to play.

Fullerton's best chance came with 12 minutes left in the first half when Amir Shafii's free kick bounced off Moreo's chest but no one could get to the rebound.