Postgame Quotes vs. USF
Jan. 20, 2001
"I felt we could definitely run on (San Francisco). It didn't seem like some of their big men were getting up the court. I think we tired them out. Especially their two main guys in the post, we felt like we could get them tired and wear them down. I think we did a good job of that."
"You really have to give (USF) credit. They hung in there and didn't give up. They started making some shots. (Darrell) Tucker started making some shots and they got on a run. We were just trying to hold them off. We are able to score just enough points to beat them tonight."
"(USF) really shot the heck out of the ball and they played really hard. They made it very difficult for us. That team, if they keep playing like they did in the second half, is going to create some problems for some people. We got a few (up-tempo) opportunities tonight. Their (defensive) pressure is pretty good and sometimes you can go over the top on them. They did a heck of a job on defense. We were very fortunate to get away with a win tonight. I thought we played as good as we have played in a while in the first half. In the second half our defense was lacking, but that was probably because their offense got a lot better."
- Kyle Bailey tied a career-high with 17 points for the second-straight game and third time this season,
- Jamie Holmes is 23-of-27 from the free throw line in his last three games,
- Santa Clara led at the half for the second-straight game and the third time overall this season,
- Four players scored in double-figures, marking the fourth time this season the Broncos have had that happen,
- Dick Davey will coach his 250th career game as the Broncos' head coach this week at Gonzaga. He is 141-98 overall as SCU's head men's basketball coach.